Paradores & Pousadas, Spain and Portugal
Feel the spell of Iberia’s rich Roman and Moorish past
Lisbon, Queluz, Evora, Merida, Carmona, Seville, Cordoba, Ronda, Granada, Ubeda, Madrid.
Feel the spell of Iberia’s rich Roman and Moorish past – and the pull of its vibrant contemporary life – on this distinctive 15-day journey through the Iberian Peninsula to the intimate lodgings of Spain’s paradores and Portugal’s pousadas. Your small group begins with Lisbon’s highlights, including iconic Belém Tower and the lovely National Palace of Queluz. Travel through the picturesque Alentejo region to one of Portugal’s finest pousadas in Evora, a treasure-trove of Roman and Moorish heritage and a UNESCO site. Encounter Mérida’s outstanding Roman ruins. In Spain’s Andalusia region, discover Seville’s beauty and romance and its renowned Catédral, and explore Cordoba, a cultural gem. Spend two nights in charming Ronda then travel to Granada with its extraordinary Alhambra. Visit medieval Toledo before a three-night stay in monumental Madrid, where touring includes the Royal Palace, the world-renowned Prado museum, and Plaza Mayor. Enjoy spirited Barcelona on an optional 4-day/3-night post-tour extension!
View our Travel Talks webinar on Spain and Portugal with 2020 tour host, Anuncia Escala. This page also includes links and resources for travel in this region.
- National Palace of Queluz, Portugal
- Lisbon sightseeing, including Belem
- Evora, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Roman ruins at Merida
- Moorish Toledo
- Tour of Carboda, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Granada's Alhambra and Generalife Gardens
- Three-night stay and sightseeing in sophisticated Madrid, including Prado, Plaza Mayor, and Royal Palace
Online Spain and Portugal Resources
- Virtual tour of Barcelona
- Virtual tour of Madrid
- Virtual tour of Spain
- One day in Lisbon
- You can find some other virtual trips here as well as photography tips.