Here's how the match works:
- All endowed faculty position funds ($250,000 or more) that support instructors or assistant/associate/full professors are eligible for the match. Commitments may support existing endowed positions or create new ones. (See chart below for minimum funding levels.) Endowments for professional faculty and staff positions are not eligible for the match.
- The provost will review endowed positions proposed for matching funds to ensure alignment with OSU's strategic goals as articulated in Prosperity Widely Shared: The Oregon State Plan.
- While matching funds provided by the program are traditionally used to benefit the endowed position, these expendable funds may also be used at the dean's/director's discretion to advance OSU's strategic priorities.
- With the possible exception of term or lead trusts, planned gifts are not eligible for the Provost's Match
Naming opportunities in support of faculty
* Dean’s position funds (minimum endowment of $5 million) are eligible for the maximum match at the $2 million chair level.
"I believe that through innovations, it is possible to transform any form of waste into a valuable resource." In the College of Agricultural Sciences, Hong Liu, the Miner Professor of Biological and Ecological Engineering, studies sustainable bioenergy production, waste and wastewater treatment and microbial fuel cell technology.
OSU has more than 180 endowed faculty position funds.
Also pictured: (top) Matthew Betts, Ruth H. Spaniol Chair of Renewable Resources, College of Forestry; (left middle) Malgorzata Peszynska, Joel Davis Faculty Scholar in Mathematics, College of Science; (left bottom) Soria Colomer, Patricia Valian Reser Faculty Scholar, College of Education.
Track Record of Success
During The Campaign for OSU (2004-2014), two Provost Faculty Match programs helped establish 39 new endowed faculty position funds (at level of $250,000 and above) with total funding of $33.6 million.
A third program implemented in 2021 inspired 18 new faculty endowments and $15.2 million in new funding.
To learn more about the Provost’s Faculty Match and how you can support OSU faculty, please contact Marlys Amundson, senior director of development for the College of Science and the OSU Foundation’s lead on this program.