E.B Lemon Distinguished Alumni Award
The OSU Alumni Association has established the E.B. Lemon Distinguished Alumni Award to recognize and honor former OSU students who have made significant contributions to society and whose accomplishments and careers have brought credit to OSU. The award does more than honor these former students. It spotlights the accomplishments of OSU and thereby increases the pride in our Alma Mater by all associated with the University. The award also presents to the people of Oregon and the nation tangible evidence of the effectiveness of the progress of our University
- Performed specific, meritorious service which reflects the quality and advancement of Oregon State University
- Achieved distinction in his/her business or professional life
- Demonstrated distinguished human service in community affairs at the local, state, national or international level
- Had been enrolled in OSU as a student (graduate/undergraduate), at least 20 years prior to nomination, as a student in good standing, for a minimum of one academic year
- Be an individual who, in deeds and action, reflects and recognized the importance of his or her education at OSU, who demonstrates pride in the Alma Mater, and whose interest in and loyalty to OSU are evidence
- Be a person of such integrity, stature and demonstrated ability, that the faculty, staff, students and alumni will take pride in and be inspired by his or her recognition
Those Ineligible For Nominations:
- A candidate or an elected official for any public office.
Anyone currently serving as a member of the OSU Board of Trustees, OSU Alumni Board of Directors or OSU Foundation Board of Trustees; and/or an OSU Alumni Association, OSU Foundation, INTO OSU or Oregon State University employee.
- Nominations for the award are encouraged from any source
- All nominations shall be kept confidential
- Forms for making nominations shall be furnished by the Alumni Office and is included at the link below
- Nominations may be made at any time. If a nominee is not selected the first year they are nominated and their file will remain active for two years following their nomination
Deadline: Feb. 23, 2024 | Nomination form
Congratulations to the 2021 E.B. Lemon Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient - Rick Spinrad, M.S. ’78, Ph.D. ’82
From his days doing his own research as a graduate student at Oregon State to his present position running one of the nation’s most crucial scientific agencies, oceanographer Richard W. “Rick” Spinrad has dedicated his life to the pursuit of ocean and climate health. Nominated by President Joe Biden and swiftly confirmed by the U.S. Senate in June, he is administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. This caps 35 years of contributions to public interest research in academia and in various governmental roles. He is widely credited with helping to solidify OSU’s position as a powerhouse of publicly funded research.
View Rick Spinrad's memory book - signed by friends and family to recognize his achievements.